Monday, April 14, 2008

8-year-old girl asks for divorce in court



“My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said.


Nasser said that she was exposed to sexual abuse and domestic violence by her husband. “He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them.”

Please add this to the "And you wonder why I'm an Agnostic" file.

The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and Yemeni Muslims have something in common, who'd a'thunk it.

No comments:

Google
 

JOIN THE MUTANT TEENAGE VAMPIRE ARMY

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Blog Archive

LinkShare  Referral  Prg

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Blog Links

Want to learn spanish fast?

Learn the secrets of better digital photos!