Thursday, November 22, 2007

But are we safe?

I've been working for the last couple of weeks at a motel in a northern suburb of Dayton Ohio. I have lived in Dayton for about the last 17 years, so I'm fairly familiar with the area. The motel is nice, but I doubt we will be hosting Julia Roberts or Regis Philbin any time soon. A nice mid priced  motel, you know the kind you stop at to catch some zzzs  while on a family  or  business trip. 

Last night a customer stopped to check on accommodations for him and his family. He was just passing through on his way to his new home in a neighboring community. He asked me a few questions, mostly the expected ones. Like: Is this a nice motel ? Sure, I answered, It's not a Hilton but it's clean and reasonably well appointed and we have donuts!! He didn't seem impressed by the whole donut thing, he must have been one of those health nuts or something.

 But what really floored me was his next question. "Is this area safe?" he asked. IS IT SAFE? SAFE? Did he just ask me if it was safe? I was caught flat footed, I was verging on panic mode. What should I tell him?The truth wasn't going to do. Hey BEE-otch, this is Dayton the 346th most dangerous city in the U S of A. Are you safe? Well actually 346 sounds kind of wimpy doesn't it?In any case he sensed my hesitation. "Well", I paused giving my sluggish brain a Twix moment to come up an acceptably bland answer that would not unduly alarm him. "Depends on what you mean by safe?"Was the best I could stammer". 

It is at this point that I must point out that we were standing not in Dayton proper but a 'burb to the north of Dayton by about 3 or 4 miles outside of Dayton. It is also at this time that I should point out that since moving to the Dayton area that both my wife and youngest daughter have robbed at gun point, I have had one car , 4 lawn mowers, 1 weed whacker, 2 car stereos , 1 car alarm, 1 television, 1 leather jacket, 2 cell phone car adapters, 1 pair of shoes and two pad locks all stolen. And I won't even mention the 7 car windows I've had broken. 

So what should I tell him?Hey buddy we're safer than Cleveland! No that wouldn't do. How about: We're almost as safe as Youngstown. After stammering for a couple more seconds I gave up and said:"Sure we're safe"I said it with what I hoped was a reassuring smile. I frankly don't know if he bought it or not. I mean it wasn't a complete lie. Was it?



No comments:

Google
 

JOIN THE MUTANT TEENAGE VAMPIRE ARMY

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

LinkShare  Referral  Prg

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Blog Links

Want to learn spanish fast?

Learn the secrets of better digital photos!