Monday, November 12, 2007

Who is this god person and why does say all these terrible thing about me?

Once more I've got more questions than answers. Why does god need to be worshipped? I asked this question of a couple of for real men of the cloth(the kind with degrees and everything) and frankly their answers were something less than satisfying(yeah I know they don't exist to satisfy my curiosity). One said "because the bible said so" and the other said " who deserves it more?".


The act of worship is after all is honoring and or praising of someone, usually a deity. God the creator gets plenty of respect, honor and praise(assuming he exists naturally) from yours truly. Whipping up something like our universe is no small feat. However, according to scripture choirs of angels sing his praises 24/7 for all of eternity. Isn't that a bit of over kill? 


I would think that an Omnipotent, omnipresent  divine being would be pretty well aware of his divinity. And wouldn't angels have better things to do than to murmur on and on for all of eternity about something that is so self evident? And what do angels do all day anyway? The bible is pretty vague on the subject. For that matter, what does god do all day? His days(again according to scripture) are a thousand years long(I've had days that seem that long). He must be pretty busy if he needs a thousand years to get a days work done. But regardless, the guy does good work. Of course I assume he is a he, Jesus was a man and according to most Christians he was god in the form of a man. 


So does god have an inferiority complex? Does he have an identity problem?Supposedly humanity is made in his image, not a good recommendation  to my way of thinking."In God's image" is a phrase that has always confused me. Do we look like god? I doubt it. If that means we have the same characteristics, he should be feared not worshipped. Based on scripture alone that hypothesis seems to be supported. I f you have ever read the bible you know how scary god is. On one of the atheists blogs someone went to the trouble to tally up the number of casualties racked up by god and Satan, god was way ahead. Satan is definitely small time compared to God.

Next, I  have got to ask, how does prayer work? Really, I don't know. Have you ever been taught how to pray? When I was a child my mother told me to get on knees at the side of my bed, close my eyes and recite a few pretty much hackneyed phrases, say amen and jump into bed. At religious gatherings adults usually stood with eyes closed and with hands behind them. On bended knees seems a bit more humble, but is it necessary to have an effective prayer experience? I once went to a catholic mass and their the pews actually had little pads that fold out to facilitate kneeling. Would that count? You  aren't really humbling yourself if you are using an artificial assist.  

On occasion  I've been told that prayers will only be answered if they are god's will. Now that is a depressing thought. That would make all prayers pointless. Why bother! But I must admit that it seems that some of my prayers have been answered , So does that mean I have just lucked out to have my want, need and or desires coincide  with the will of god?


As usual I have few answers and the answers usually lead to even more questions. I sometimes envy people that are able to have blind faith. What would it take for me to have unquestioning faith? If you take the bible literally it's already to late for me, by asking these question I've already sinned against the holy spirit and have a one way ticket to the big hot(and I don't mean New Orleans). I once explained my agnostic beliefs to a young "born again christian" girl. I explained how important it was to me to have an open mind. She told me that I should become a practising christian even though I was doubter, just in case. To cover my bets so to speak.  To me it's better to have an ounce of honest doubt than a whole ton of hypocritical faith. Naturally  she didn't get it. 


Coming next: The further adventures of Commander Zero and his Lost Planet Aethernauts.

No comments:

Google
 

JOIN THE MUTANT TEENAGE VAMPIRE ARMY

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

LinkShare  Referral  Prg

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Blog Links

Want to learn spanish fast?

Learn the secrets of better digital photos!