Friday, December 14, 2007

No Honor in killing

If you check my profile you'll note that I am the proud father of two daughters. Like most parents there have been times when I have been angry with them. Very angry on one or two occasions. But my anger soon passes, all I have to do is to think back to the first time I held them when they were babies. No matter how grown up they get or how old I get they will always be my children. I have an ocean of memories that will warm my soul as long as I live. I've always assumed that fathers everywhere have just about the same kinds of feelings. How can you visit harm on someone you've helped come into this world through an act of love? The concept of child abuse is just simply beyond my understanding.  And something else that simply blows my mind is the all too often reported "honor killings"amongst Muslim  families.

The latest case I've heard about is from Canada. The story has a familiar ring to it. A teenage daughter wanted more freedom to explore and experiment. Like all children her age(16) she wanted experience life, test her boundaries and find herself.  Oh sure, they are from a different culture. But you have to ask yourself why did this father bring his family to Canada? Or other Muslim families come to the States? The short answer is money. Economic opportunity, the chance to make a better life. I got no problems with that part of the equation.   I bet like most immigrants Aqsa's father was hard working honest man. I bet he worked long hours in that taxi of his. I bet he saved every penny, did without, maybe even sent money home. By his lights, A good father, husband and devout Muslim.

But Mr. Parvez, like a few other immigrants to the west, overlooked a few things. Why is there more economic opportunity in the west? It's because of freedom. It sounds corny, but it is true. What Mr.Parvez and his ilk forget is all the things that go along with a free market economy. Namely:Freedom of speech, freedom of association , freedom of expression and freedom of religion. It's not a cafeteria, you can't pick and choose, if you want the better life over here. 

So Mr. Parvez and rest of you honorable men, Let lay a little bit of wisdom I've garnered during my brief stay on this planet. Honor is great but it can't bring back the dead. Once a child starts to grow up and gets a taste of what's out there, total control is no longer an option. If you raise your kid right they're going to make the right decision.  If your child is still alive, there is always a chance the kid will come back in to the fold. If you kill the kid , all bets are off. Or the kid may end up converting to to the church of whatever. Deal! If you got a choice choose life.

So, Who's more deluded?  A Muslim that kills his daughter for not wearing a piece of cloth on her head, Or J.W. that lets their kid die because they won't give him a blood transfusion? Talk about a dubious distinction! 


Sign me disgusted in Dayton

Emoose out

No comments:

Google
 

JOIN THE MUTANT TEENAGE VAMPIRE ARMY

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Blog Archive

LinkShare  Referral  Prg

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Blog Links

Want to learn spanish fast?

Learn the secrets of better digital photos!